MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Cannot connect to database server
Posted by: Barry Galbraith
Date: December 14, 2023 10:35PM

I don't normally use Workbench, but I've installed it to see if I can help.
When I start Workbench, the Welcome screen shows a MySQL Connection for Local instance MySQL 8.0 root 127.0.0.1:3306
It also shows a + (to add another connection) and a spanner to view/edit the properties of this connection.
Clicking the spanner oneps a dialog labelled "Manage Server Connections"
On the left pane, click on the "Local instance MySQL 8.0" connection, and the right pane displays the parameters for that connection.
Hostname for me is 127.0.0.1
Port is 3306
Username is root
Password has a "Store in Vault..." button. Click that button to add (and store) root's password. You should have added a password for root when you installed the server. If you didn't add a password for root, then it has no password. Click on the "Clear" button if you want to remove the password from the Vault.
Press the "Test Connection" button (bottom right).
If no password is stored, you will be asked for root's password. If root has no password set, then leave it blank.
You should get a "Successfully made the MySQL connection" dialog.
You can now connect to MySQL. If root has no password, your first task is to set one, then go back and edit the properties of the connection again to save the root password in the vault.
If you set root's password, and can't remember it, then ther is a whole other process to reset root password.

Good luck,
Barry.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Cannot connect to database server
December 14, 2023 10:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.