4.1 UTF8 conversion and other problems
Posted by: nenad
Date: April 18, 2005 12:56PM

I have a bit of a crisis at the moment. My host without properly notifying me upgraded to 4.1 from 4.0.22.

I have forum running (phpBB) and a mostly cyrillic (Serbian) UTF8 database, the host is running latin1 i guess.

Since the upgrade last week everything was still fine, sometime in between i changed the collation (without knowing what it does) from latin1_swedish_ci to utf8_unicode_ci. Again all fine, i noticed no difference.

This morning me and a coadmin changed a field_length from 120->180, and all the information in that field went "wonky", all the letters s (cyrillic) were lost to some strange boxes.

Then I went to see some daily backup and realised I couldn't read any of the cyrillic, in any of the tables, even though i was in UTF8 encoding, also same problem with phpMyAdmin, same problem with other scripts that do dumps of the database. Now I am very worried that i may lose the last 13 days of messages because there I cannot get a database dump that isnt gibberish, and I cant change any of the tables.

Can anyone help me on how to resolve this issue? How can I convert the tables without losing data and so that I can again make database dumps/backups.

What the problem appears to be is that the characters have been double encoded, or decoded, don't know which, I am really confused.

Thank you,
Nenad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2005 12:58PM by nenad.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
4.1 UTF8 conversion and other problems
April 18, 2005 12:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.