Collation conversion latin1 -> utf8
Posted by: ccarmical
Date: April 27, 2005 07:19AM

<BACKGROUND>
I have successfully upgraded to the 4.1 series with no major problems. The only thing that is a little inconvenient is the inability to use phpMyAdmin to administer the database. The problem, apparently, is that my database was originally set up as latin1, even though I am actually using utf8.

Because of this, I cannot view the data from within phpMyAdmin. If I try to change the collation within phpMyAdmin, I end up with garbled characters. If I do the following I can view the database without issue from within phpMyAdmin, but then my website appears as ??????.

mysqldump -uUSER -pPASSWORD database > db.sql
replace "latin1" "utf8" -- db.sql
mysql -uUSER -pPASSWORD database < db.sql

<QUESTION>
So, I can either view the characters correctly on my site, or within phpMyAdmin, but not both. There must be a step I am missing somewhere. Do I need to do something before changing the collation, or is the problem with my mysql connection?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Collation conversion latin1 -> utf8
April 27, 2005 07:19AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.