Storing Hebrew strings Ok, but gibberish when pulling data on another server
Posted by: Joseph E
Date: February 02, 2010 08:06AM

I'm having a Mysql problem and though I looked long and hard and read many threads about similar issues, I can't seem to get it sorted.

I came across a common problem of people trying to insert Hebrew strings into tables and having a problem where those strings are saved as gibberish.

My problem is not inserting the data, but rather getting it out on a different server.

To be more specific, I have a site in hebrew where people submit forms and the data is saved into Mysql database tables. I have no problem retrieving and showing the data on the site itself, but when dumping the database and extracting it on my local server, the Hebrew text from Mysql queries shows as gibberish.

I understand that It's some kind of utf8/latin1 mix up, but I've read so many forum posts and tried so many things that by now I'm very confused and not sure what to do next.

I run a Mysql too called HeidiSQL which shows me the localhost config on my server, and the settings that are relevant to this issue are:

character_set_client: latin1
character_set_connection: latin1
character_set_database: utf8
character_set_filesystem: binary
character_set_results: latin1
character_set_server: utf8
character_set_system: utf8

collation_connection: latin1_swedish_ci
collation_database: utf8_general_ci
collation_server: utf8_general_ci

I could really use some help at this point :(

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Storing Hebrew strings Ok, but gibberish when pulling data on another server
February 02, 2010 08:06AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.