utf8_general_ci_as?
Posted by: Bernd Liebermann
Date: September 11, 2010 02:27AM

Hi,

in an old post from 2005 (http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?103,22014) somebody said that case insensitive, yet accent sensitive collations were on the developers team's todo list. Unfortunately, 5 years later I can't see that any progress has been made on this issue .

In nearly any database application 99% of all text searches are meant to be accent sensitive and case insensitive by the user, and nearly any major database system (e.g. Oracle, MS SQL) meets this requirement. It's hard to understand that there's not more complaint on this lack of functionality by MySQL users.

When you go googling for workarounds you always come across about one of two solutions:

1) Switch to latin1_xxx_ci - this is not possible for me as I have a few non latin1 characters in my text columns.
2) Switch to utf8_bin and use something like lower(@search) = lower(col) which works, but raises performance problems.

So, any support in bringing this issue back on the todo list would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernd Liebermann

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
utf8_general_ci_as?
September 11, 2010 02:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.