Re: why client characterset and sever characterset are set to Latin when character set client and server are set to different character set
Posted by: Sam Ohn
Date: November 15, 2010 05:09PM

Thank you very much, Rick for sharing your documentation. In the weekend I was organizing the idea and the information I've gotten so far, and found that I could export Japanese characters from database to a file by using SELECT OUTFILE command. The Japanese characters still corrupted when I run SELECT command on CMD and I can not read them on CMD. Even though I set CMD's default code page to utf8, the output on the client is still corrupted. I think it may happen because client can not display the utf8 characters, but at least the database can save the data without corruption. I also concern that Windows does not basically support utf8 (you can set CP of CMD to utf8, though), and it may cause this problem.

STATUS command still shows client and server charactersets are set to Latin1. And, local, global, and session variables like '%char%' are set to utf8.

So, I guess the actual problem may be mysql client which can not display utf8 Japanese characters on windows command line(CMD), or maybe CMD may have a problem to display utf8 characters from mysql clinet??

I want to use Windows to test mysql, and it's very inconvenient that if I can not use CMD.

Rick James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read through this; follow some of the
> instructions, and show us the result.
> (I hope you are using utf8, not shift-JIS, I know
> how to deal with utf8.)
>
> http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/charcoll

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.