character collection for Chinese font, how to migrate to utf8
Posted by: Ryan Liu
Date: November 03, 2005 04:01AM

Hi,

Character-set thing is always complicated for me after I move back to China.

I am using mysql4.1.2a version, all tables are using default Latin1_swedish_ci character collection.

When I backup database using mysql, and get a plain text file which contains Chinese. But those Chinese fonts can not be read no matter what encoding I try.

I open this plain text sql file in IE and even write my own program to read this file, I try latin1, utf8, gb2312 ... just can not read those Chinese fonts.

But if I restore it back into database using mysql <backup.sql,
again, it is readable in MySQL control center, but it can not be read in MySQL Query browser.

I also created a complete new database, this time I specify utf8 as default character set for the new database, and when I dump it, I got a utf8 encoded plain text file. And MySQL Query browser can read tables with Chinese font, but MySQL control center will just display Chinese char in a unreadable fonts.

Now I want to upgrade old Latin1_swedish_ci to utf8, how can I do it? I tried all ways I can think out, just don't work.

And how really is this character-set thing working? And I notice mysqldump and mysql command line program both accept parameter --default-character-set, what really it does?

When the table is using Latin1_swedish_ci, which encoding the mysqldump-ed file is in?

I am desperate need help to solve this problem, and thanks a lot for you help!!

Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
character collection for Chinese font, how to migrate to utf8
November 03, 2005 04:01AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.