MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Partition Pruning
Posted by: Scott Watson
Date: November 14, 2011 04:19PM

Hello,

I am trying to understand partition pruning. The problem is that partition pruning is working when I was expecting it to not work. So I believe I have either misunderstood the documentation or something is happening that I am not aware of.

mysql> select version();
+------------+
| version() |
+------------+
| 5.5.17-log |
+------------+
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

So my understanding was that partition pruning is only supported on date, datetime columns when you use the YEAR or the TO_DAYS function. ( FROM THE DOC: In MySQL 5.5, partition pruning is supported for the TO_DAYS(), TO_SECONDS(), and YEAR() functions.) However, I used the DAYOFWEEK function so that I have 7 partitions since I only need to keep 5 days worth of data in a rolling fashion. Did I misread the doc or is it the case that DAYOFWEEK works with partition pruning but is just not supported? I have tried simple selects and joins and it seem to prune as long as I supply a date value. I will not be using ranges of dates.

Thanks
Scott.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Partition Pruning
November 14, 2011 04:19PM
November 21, 2011 05:46AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.