MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Re: Online Partition addition use "add partition" clause or "reorganize" clause?
Posted by: Rick James
Date: October 23, 2014 04:36PM

> --Can confirm that p_MAX partition no record

Yeah, sure. What will you do if there are records in that partition? It _will_ happen -- perhaps some day when the cron job fails to run because the machine was down briefly.

For that reason, I much prefer the REORGANIZE approach. And, when p_MAX is empty, the action will be essentially instantaneous, whether online or offline. So, don't worry about performance. (Frankly, I don't know whether it is online/offline; but I have used it before "online" was an option.) This was developed before "online" was an option:
http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/partitionmaint

You have a lot of VARCHARs, and they are moderately big. Consider shrinking the table by normalizing suitable VARCHARs. Shrinking the disk footprint will significantly improve speed in some SELECTs.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Online Partition addition use "add partition" clause or "reorganize" clause?
October 23, 2014 04:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.