MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Apostrophe is a word separator !
Posted by: Eric Jeker
Date: November 04, 2008 02:48AM

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask a question. I am using a full-text search in a website. The website content is in French, German, Italian and English.

In French, we use the apostrophe as a word separator.
For example : "Esclimont Castle" means "Château d'Esclimont"

But, "d'Esclimont" is not the name of that castle, the name is "Esclimont" and "d'" is a linking word that means that the castle is located near or in Esclimont, which is a region (Castle of Esclimont).

I would like that if my users search "esclimont" in the search box, they will find "Château d'Esclimont". But it is currently not working because they have to search "d'esclimont" and that is absolutely not the way they will search.

So, can I do that, how can I do that or are you planning to localize that full-text search ? How can I specify the word separators ?

Because, if we cannot change that, the full-text search is hardly usable for French or other "apostrophed" language.

Thanks you for your answer
Eric

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Apostrophe is a word separator !
November 04, 2008 02:48AM
December 04, 2008 02:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.