MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Startup sequence on MacOS 10.14.5
Posted by: Ken Gillett
Date: June 01, 2019 08:10AM

Been running MySQL 5.7.19 on a Mac Mini I use as a server, but just updated to 8.0.16. With no data worth saving I was happy for a completely fresh install, but afterwards, although the Prefs Pane told me it was 8.0.16, when I ran 'mysqladmin version', I was informed it was still 5.7.19.

After several uninstalls and re-installs later, I came to the conclusion that the installer does not kill any currently running instance so the old one remained running. Also I was refused access as root, using the exact same password I had entered on installation - now selecting legacy authentication as it appears most software clients cannot seem to handle the new higher security default - even Workbench.

After another uninstall and re-install, I now have 8.0.16 really running and this time I am allowed to use the correct root@localhost password I entered during install. But...

When I check the running process, it is using data_directory and pid and error locations that are NOT specified in the Prefs panel which I then realised actually modifies the launch daemon's parameters - which are then completely ignored.

I have now 'unloaded' and finally 'disabled' the launch daemon, but I cannot stop the MySQL processes, mysqld and mysqld_safe. So what starts the latter? The launch daemon doesn't even mention it. Whatever, the Prefs Pane is unable to stop it, and if I use 'mysqladmin shutdown', or 'mysql.server stop', both threads immediately re-launch under new process IDs.

It looks to me like there are 2 processes trying to keep mysql running. The Sys Prefs pane controls the launch daemon and that should take care of starting and stopping mysqld, So what's starting mysql_safe and as it's not the launch daemon, what the hell keeps re-starting those 2 processes?

I need to figure out how it is starting because otherwise I have no way to configure it as I need, e.g.to use the correct data directory. In fact, apart from killing the processes, currently it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop through any of the normally designated controls (mysqladmin or mysql.server or of course the Sys Prefs pane).

So, forget the System Prefs pane and the launch daemon, what is the launch process for v.8 on Mojave? Is it mysql.server that is launching mysqld_safe which is designed to keep alive itself and mysqld? In which case, what is launching mysql.server?

I'm sure it's obvious to those who know, but right now after more than a whole day messing with this, it's as clear as mud to me. So an explanation of this process would be much appreciated so I can then configure it correctly and start using it.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Startup sequence on MacOS 10.14.5
June 01, 2019 08:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.