MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Query optimization on INSERT ... SELECT ... SUBSTR
Posted by: Jess Mann
Date: January 25, 2008 12:29PM

Hello,

I have two tables, one which contains a listing of images (INT id, VARCHAR(50) image_path), and another which contains tags for those images (INT id, INT image_id, VARCHAR(20) tag).

Via pure SQL, I would like to take all the image_paths in my image table, and perform some string operations on them to create a tag based on the image name. I have the following SQL query, which does what I intend.

INSERT INTO table_tags ( image_id, tag ) SELECT id, REVERSE( SUBSTR( REVERSE(image_path), LOCATE( '.', REVERSE( image_path ) ) + 3, LOCATE( '/', REVERSE( image_path ) ) - LOCATE( '.', REVERSE( image_path ) ) - 1 ) ) AS tag FROM table_images

Each image_path is formatted as: /path/to/image/nameXX.ext
Such as: /var/www/images/bird09.jpg

However, the above query is monstrous. Typically, I would simply figure out the tag name via a scripting language like PHP, but for my own edification (and portability), I would like to do this via SQL.

I've looked through the various string operations available here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-functions.html

My question is whether there is a simpler way to do the above (again, purely with SQL). It appears that the only regex matching functions available return a bool (rather than the matched string), that there is no function to search a string from the end backwards, and that there is no substring function which takes an ending index as a parameter.

Am I mistaken? Or, is there a better way to handle this?

Any suggestions, or references to alternative documentation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
-Jess

EDIT: I understand that this is a relatively simple question regarding string operations, but I'm trying to be more apt at using MySQL over relying on a scripting language for available operations. That said, even humoring me with other resources would be appreciated. ;) Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 12:34PM by Jess Mann.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Query optimization on INSERT ... SELECT ... SUBSTR
January 25, 2008 12:29PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.