Re: Problem with index and left join
Posted by: Erland Isaksson
Date: May 10, 2006 10:52AM

Apachez wrote:
> Since you seem locked by that external product
> perhaps you can still add a second column to the
> "external product table" ?
>

This would be a good idea if I only had to care about my own installation. The problem is that my code is actually a plugin to the external product, so my plugin will also be installed by other users. There are some problems related to this:

The external product will regulary drop the tracks table and recreate it. I could patch the SQL scripts but that would complicate the installation which today just includes unzipping a file.

The external product will regulary add new rows to the table and I guess this means that the external product would be need to be patched so it calculates a md5 sum for the new column when it inserts a new row. It might be possible to solve with a trigger but the problem is that it must be possible to run on mysql 4.0 besides 4.1 and 5.0 and I don't think 4.0 supports triggers.

I would prefer if my plugin wasn't required to modify the external product tables since I feel that I might not have control of them in the other users installations. The database structure is also not an external interface for the product so I think its a good idea not to depend on it to much.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
May 09, 2006 11:48PM
Re: Problem with index and left join
May 10, 2006 10:52AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.