Re: Database Conceptual & Logical Design
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: November 14, 2007 11:05AM

Malcolm,

Sorry, that's unreadable. Google BBCode to see how to tag stuff like that as code in fora like this.

I'd start with a use case analysis (http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch05.pdf). The first pass would start like this ...

identify users (primary actors): administrator, manager, data clerks, parking attendants, perhaps parkers (if there is to be an ATM-like parker interface to the system)

identify secondary actors eg vehicles, their owners &c

identify tasks: add/edit parking events, parking rates, vehicle registry, add/edit/issue invoices, track payments including fines, &c

use cases:

determine 1st hour of a parking event
ditto for last hour

identify & record car owner and owner type (ordinary, govt, diplomatic)

insert/edit parking rates for ord/giovt/diplos

issue parking invoice

insert/edit vehicle

insert/edit owner

insert/edit parking "tickets"

buy parking tickets

etc

... after which ...

I build a list of entities & their attributes

I turn them into tables

I write queries for the use cases to see if the system has the info needed, looping back to the top as required to fill the gaps.

Many use case/conceptual design methods have been published. If you find ours too sketchy or otherwise unsatisfactory, Google the topic till you find a model you like.

PB

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Database Conceptual & Logical Design
November 14, 2007 11:05AM
November 15, 2007 05:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.