Re: A lot of rows for a very specific task
Posted by: lopo grio
Date: January 20, 2009 08:56AM

Dear Mr. James,

Thanks for the very informative and detailed answer. It really shows you've put a lot of thought into it.

I am getting pretty sure MyISAM is the way to go, based on some benchmarks I've did on several millions of rows (~50 M rows). It shows better behavior, especially disk space and RAM usage wise. Your recommendation also helps me to be sure on this selection.

BTW, I run my benchmark with ORACLE also. Run the same test case with an Oracle on the same machine as the MySQL (CPU,RAM, OS). MySQL shows slightly better performance, so if there are any SUN guys reading, it looks like MySQL does this task better then Oracle. However, this is not the billion records test - I don't know how will MySQL behave in those zones, I am a bit afraid that the large table could cause issues, especially maintenance issues.

Regarding the other approach you've mentioned, it is possible. We'll go this way only if we see poor transaction times as we approach several hunderds of millions of rows.

Again, thanks for the info!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: A lot of rows for a very specific task
January 20, 2009 08:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.