Re: Designing a forum - general design logic question
Posted by: bad unik
Date: June 01, 2012 03:22AM

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon here, I'm what most ppl call a newb. I need some help in figuring out the entities and their relationships here, for whatever reason I just can't wrap my head around it. I already sent in a couple of submissions, and I get the impression my professor is getting a bit ticked off.

Film Showings

The Cinema Guild Theatre Group wants the following collection of 21 data items to be implemented in a database to manage its member theatres in several towns. Provide the 3NF LDM that satisfies these requirements.

Your answer must be the minimum required for a valid logical model solution.
No extraneous entities or relationships.
Do not add *any* data items to the 21 items shown.
You must label with a name each entity and each relationship (between entities).
Check carefully that you have satisfied all constraints A through K.

Actor
Address of Theatre
Adult Count
Adult Price
Child Count
Child Price
Date
Director
Movie Name
Movie Rating
Movie Review
Number of Screens
Screen Number
Senior Count
Senior Price
Student Count
Student Price
Theatre Name
Theatre Phone Number
Time of Showing
Town

The following describe key business rules, definitions, requirements and relationships between data items:

A: Theatres can show a "double bill" (2 films for 1 admission price) or a "triple bill" (3 films) or a "festival" (a larger number of films for one price).
B: The film distributor requires each theatre to report the count of each type of ticket sold by showing. A showing is one start of a movie on a particular day at a specific time. Movies shown together (double bill, etc.)
have one start time.
C: A given movie may be showing at more than one theatre at the same time.
D: The movie review is a short paragraph quoted from a national magazine. The movie's rating is also based on non-local information.
E: The database needs to track all principal actors in a movie, e.g. co-stars Bette Middler and Carrie Fisher.
F: Theatres sometimes run film festivals, where they show several films starring the same actor. (Don't handle the festival separately, just be sure that your design for individual movies handles it.)
G: Theatres have four classes of admission with separate prices: adults, students, children, and senior citizens.
H: All prices are determined by the time of day and the day of the week (i.e. the date). Therefore, weekend and holiday prices can be different than weekday prices. Prices can be different in each theatres showing the same film at the same time.
I: A theatre is in only one town, but a town can have more than one theatre.
J: Most of the theatres in the theatre group have become multi-screen centers, as specified by the "Number of Screens" data item for each theatre. For each showing, the screen number must be recorded to identify the actual room in which the screening will occur. Date and time alone do not uniquely identify a showing.
K: Assume that a movie has only one director, but that director film festivals can be held (e.g. showing five Alfred Hitchcock or Woody Allen movies).

He's very specific about the format of the model, should be described in text format describing the model, relationship and verb which describes the relationship. For instance, the first entity which is "theatre" should be as follows:

Model

Theatre (Theatre Name(PK), Address of Theatre, Town, Theatre phone number, # of Screens)

Relationship

Shows Theatre 1:M Movie

If you guys could help me out this would be a huge help, so I can move on to other assignments and get this database class behind me, plus I don't wanna tick him off anymore than I have to.

Many thanks,
Bad

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Designing a forum - general design logic question
June 01, 2012 03:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.