Many to Many Table Linking Architecture
Posted by: Frank Thomson
Date: October 17, 2013 10:55PM

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I have a number of tables and I want to create a generalised way to be able to link any row in any of the tables to any other row in another table (or the same table).

So one approach I have considered is to have a new table to keep track of these links. Its structure could look like
--------------------------------------------
|id | Table 1 | Table 1 | Table 2 | Table 2| Comment
| | Name | Row ID | Name | Row ID |
| 1 | A | 1 | C | 3 | Links Row 1 in table A
to Row 3 in table C
| 2 | A | 1 | E | 1 |
| 3 | B | 2 | D | 2 |

I sketched this and scanned it here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4ydfm9DZtAST2VJOHhRbkZkUDQ/edit?usp=sharing
Note that in reality connecting Table A row 1 to table C row 3 is the same as connecting table C row 3 to table A row 1.
This means that before I was to strore A1 - C3 I need to check both that A1-C3 is not already there and also that C3-A1 is not in the table either.

A similar problem exists when searhing the table. If I want to find everything that A1 is linked to I have to search both halves of the table.
Select * FROM xlinktable
where table1name = A and Table1RowID = 1
or table2name = A and Table2RowID = 1

Now this may be the best way to do this sort of thing.

But I figured before speding too much time implementing it, I would ask you gurus if this is the best or appropriate architecture.

Thoughts & comments requested.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Many to Many Table Linking Architecture
October 17, 2013 10:55PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.