Database design suggestion needed
Posted by: Zawisza Czarny
Date: February 10, 2014 04:07PM

Hi
Some time ago I designed a database with electrical elements, my question was about do I need should use EAV model database or not ;) Now I am reconsidering my previous (working!! :D ) design to something with more capabilities and having better performance.

A few words about my database. I have it it ELEMENTS stored in GROUPS witch have some PARAMETERS, and those elements are connected to a MAGAZINE.

This is a very simple idea that works quite good, now I want to add a possibility to add a SET of elements, containing element x,y...
Every set should be stored into a GROUP with some PARAMETERS, and those sets should be connected to a MAGAZINE so exactly like normal elements, difference between ELEMENT and SET it that set can have a UNIQUE serial number (1000 resistors with the same value of resistance are the same for me, so they can be stored as a single entry in MAGAZINES table, but, a SET can be a radio or something else, and I want to distinguish them) and I need to have a possibility to add 'child' SETS to SET

The question is. Should I add a field to ELEMENTS table with information about how should I treat this element (as element or as SET) and then create a table containing information about which elements is connected to which SET, and another table to save information about serial numbers.
Or should I treat it in different way?

I hope that you understand my problem, please say if not, I will tray to explain it better :)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Database design suggestion needed
February 10, 2014 04:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.