Re: database structure for a dynamic product catalogue
Posted by: Peter Brawley
Date: August 03, 2014 04:24PM

The paper catalogue consists in 500+ pages.
Every products can span multiple pages.
build a database structure that allow me to update the web product catalogue easily.
...imagine a new product is inserted in the paper catalogue. The page numbers will shift accordingly, based on the insertion point of the new product pages.
I need to build a database structure that allow me to update the web product catalogue easily.

There are two common solutions, (i) a one-dimensional list orderable by product name and/or number (ii) a hierarchy (which may or may not be a tree). In each case, the "page number" of a given product at a given moment depends on what else is in the catalogue at that moment, ie it's dynamic so it's more efficient to compute such a "page number" at runtime rather than try to store it. If there is a real need for persistent page numbers---eg you need to be able to insert pages in a catalogue printout without reprinting the whole thing---then you need an extra table that assigns such page numbers.

In either case there's no need to reinvent the wheel here---browse http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/ for catalogues that match your requirement.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: database structure for a dynamic product catalogue
August 03, 2014 04:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.