Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Re: Workbench 5.0.11 OSS on Win2k
Posted by: Olav
Date: January 22, 2008 01:18PM

Michael G. Zinner Wrote:

> Also, can you post about why you are still running
> Win2k it the days of Vista? I mean, it also took
> me a while to get off Win2k but I finally did
> switch to XP and did not regret it later on.

Discovering that Workbench doesn't work on Windows 2000 brought me to this forum. I could also explain why I am still using this platform.

It's because a) it is IMHO the first and last good OS that Microsoft ever released, b) I own a license, c) it runs nicely inside VMware under Ubuntu and d) I have no need for anything else.

I have plenty of experience supporting Windows XP but I never saw it as anything else but Windows 2000 with fat blue borders, and a few other "cute" cosmetic differences. Most software that says it was made for Windows XP actually does run on Windows 2000 without modifications. I do not use "Windows Firewall" because I use a REAL firewall (Linux device). I will never buy Vista.

There are many more Windows 2000 users out there. I am personally supporting a small company's LAN where Windows 2000 is still used intensively, every day. There is nothing wrong with these people. They just don't want to throw money at "upgrades" every couple of years. They don't buy into the hypes and marketing schemes. Their applications all work well. They will still be receiving security updates for their systems until July 13, 2010 - Microsoft promised. Business people for whom an OS is only a tool, not some sort of status symbol, are in no need to "upgrade".

Please MySQL, if there is no pressing need to exclude Windows 2000 users (and as it seems from what Jeremy has told you, there isn't) from Workbench, don't do it. Forgo the eye candy and other distractions. People want the no-nonsense ERD design package that was promised years ago, not some other "flagship".

So I still could not try Workbench because there is no Linux beta and my perfectly good Windows version is deemed too "low".

Sorry for ranting, hope you understand...

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 22, 2007 03:42PM
January 10, 2008 09:10AM
January 10, 2008 09:22AM
Re: Workbench 5.0.11 OSS on Win2k
January 22, 2008 01:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.