MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Re: THIS EDITION *IS* CRIPPLED
Posted by: Michael G. Zinner
Date: January 30, 2008 04:02PM

Mark,

there is no previous Edition. What we released 2 years ago was a technology preview where we tried some things out. But we ran into too many problems.

So what you see in MySQL Workbench 5.0 is a total reimplementation and has nothing to do with the original code that used Delphi.

If you compare it to DBDesigner4, you are right that the feature set is different. But WB now features SQL Script import, a feature that was always requested for DBD4 but I could not implement since I had no time to include the MySQL Server grammar.

When you say crippled it means that the OSS Edition would hardly be usable for real work. And I really do not think this is true. We carefully selected the features that are reserved for SE and made sure that everything can be worked around easily.

It's like free public transport vs. a cab. Sure it is nice to take a cab to the exact location where you want to go, but it is not free. On the other hand the tax that the cab pays helps to keep the public transport free.

And I'd rather live in a town where there is both rather in a town where there is only free public transport and it is crap because there is too little money.

About the Sun acquisition. This might have some nice effects on several of our projects in the future, one can only speculate. For the moment things are proceeding as planned.

Mike

Michael Zinner, Team Lead, Developer Tools
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified? www.mysql.com/certification

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 24, 2007 10:07AM
December 26, 2007 10:29AM
January 02, 2008 01:53PM
January 17, 2008 01:43PM
January 17, 2008 03:27PM
January 23, 2008 02:50PM
Re: THIS EDITION *IS* CRIPPLED
January 30, 2008 04:02PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.