MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Re: Access denied for user 'root'@localhost (using password: YES)
Posted by: Diarmuid O'Brien
Date: December 21, 2020 03:58PM

thanks for your help again. I'm trying to register a username, not reset a password, but I assume it's a similar process. For clarity, I can enter my password in the MySQL installation software when looking to change anything in the 'configuration' settings, and it's happy with my p/w. I just don't see any evidence of a username being registered anywhere.
Following the advice on the link provided, I began by stopping MySQL80 server in Windows services, and it all went downhill from there!
Next step is to start the server with defaults file, but I can't find my config file, as the 'locate my .cnf' command is not recognised by the command prompt [either with MySQL80 running or stopped], so I stall!
Interestingly if I enter simply 'mysql' at the command prompt, I get a response 'Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' [same, with or without the valid password]. Not sure if it somehow registered tat username as a default.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.