MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Importing a CSV file with Japanese texts
Posted by: Ken Guiche
Date: April 23, 2021 01:34AM

Hello, I've been trying to create a new table using Table Data Import Wizard, but it errors out when a CSV contains Japanese texts. The CSV was created by Google Sheets, and encoded with UTF-8. The process fails at "Configure Import Settings" page with "UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x8d in position xxx: character maps to <undefined>", where xxx is where a Japanese text starts. I know many MySQL documents talk about character encodings, but to me it looks like "Table Data Import Wizard" is bombing out even the data are actually imported in the database. I tried saving the CSV with UTF-8 w/ BOM and UTF-16 but didn't make any difference. Import Wizard works fine with CSV's made the same way with Google Sheets, as long as they only contain English texts.
I am new to MySQL, but the similar CSVs can be imported into MS-SQL using its tool without any issue. Am I missing something, or is this really a Workbench issue? If so, will doing manually through scripts work?
I'd appreciate your help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Importing a CSV file with Japanese texts
April 23, 2021 01:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.