MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Taking only certain fields from Excel and loading data into according fields in MySQL
Posted by: brandon Hire
Date: October 12, 2011 01:54PM

Hello,

I work for a DNA company, and they get DNA samples in on a daily basis. My Boss has asked me to write a database to inventory the samples.

Basically what happens is when we get a DNA sample in, the sample (hair, saliva or whatever) is placed into a "plate" this plate holds 96 samples.

Right now in order to know what Sample is in which row and column of the plate, they are using an excel spread sheet with 1 through 12 as the column and A through H as the row.

so it looks like:

1 2 3 4 5 6
A (sample numbers)
B (sample numbers)
C (sample numbers)
D (sample numbers)

What i want to do is have them upload the excel file, and take out ONLY THE (sample numbers) and place them into the mysql table which looks like:

Sample (Sample_ID, Sample_Num, Sample_Row, Sample_Column)

So lets say on the excel sheet that sample number 44555 is on A 1, then when the user uploads the excel sheet it will place sample number 44555 into the Sample_Num field, and A into Sample_Row and 1 into Sample_Column.

ANY HELP WOULD BE AMAZING! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Taking only certain fields from Excel and loading data into according fields in MySQL
October 12, 2011 01:54PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.