MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Notifier

[Solved] MySQL Notifyer installation (was : Strange installation)
Posted by: Hubert CANEVET
Date: February 26, 2014 10:15AM

Hello everybody,

I shall try and keep clear, although I shall express two symptoms at different levels.

I once had MySql 5.0 on my machine, and when I installed version 5.6, both were staying on the machine. Data is present only in 5.6.

It then appears a problem to which I did not think : when I launch FileHippo UpdateChecker, it tells me that I have MySql 5.0, and that I should migrate it to MySql 5.6.

So, maybe it would be a good idea to uninstall version 5.0. I tried to do it from add/remove programs from the config panel, it said OK, but the folder "Program Files\MySQL\MySql Server 5.0" is still there, and does not want to be deleted as appearently something is locked in it. Do I have to completely uninstall both versions to be able to uninstall 5.0 ? Or would it be a good idea to delete that folder in Windows safe mode ?

The second problem justifies the choice of the forum, as when starting a Windows session, I see that MySql Notifier meets a high severity error. I saw there are numerous threads about that question, that for at least some of them were closed without solving the problem, encouraging people to open more and more threads still about the same question, so that if one of them contains the answer, you have no way to know which one, as some threads contain proposed solutions, and nothing about the results when the issuer tries them.

I verified the presence of my.ini in "Program Files\MySQL\MySql Server 5.6", copied it to a few other directories in case it would be searched for elsewhere, with no success. Even an administrator cannot launch MySql Notifier.

The message displays the whole calls pile, pointing out a missing file problem. Well, do not you feel that less information about the calling pile and more about the path of the searched file woud help more in this particular case ?

Copying my.ini to several folders does not help (and I verified that logged in users have read and write access to it, at least in the directory where it was initially found), but it contains the names of several log files, supposing one of them misses, what is supposed to happen ? Is it then created, or does it through an exception ?

I have to precise that MySql 5.5 seems to function correctly (except a problem of character set about which I opened a thread). Well, to open the MySql applications, I call them from shortcuts in the start menu of Windows XP.

Just some side effects in fact ...

Perhaps we shall have a good surprise, but maybe solving that question of missing file can wait a new version that displays the path of the missing file ?

Is keeping two versions on disk a security issue, if you need only one ?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 11:55AM by Hubert CANEVET.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
[Solved] MySQL Notifyer installation (was : Strange installation)
February 26, 2014 10:15AM
March 03, 2014 06:57PM
March 04, 2014 01:30AM
March 04, 2014 09:42AM
March 04, 2014 11:42AM
March 04, 2014 03:44PM
March 04, 2014 06:37PM
March 05, 2014 12:27PM
March 05, 2014 05:31PM
March 07, 2014 12:21PM
March 10, 2014 04:43AM
March 10, 2014 03:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.