MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

Multiple large databases - what is best practice?
Posted by: Peter Simm
Date: November 07, 2006 05:39AM

Hello,

As usual with systems which will be "just a small database", my initial effort has grown to 150Gb in disk usage. The project which uses this database is expanding and is now starting another project which will be exactly the same as the existing one, but with seperate data (data structures remain the same).

My question is, what is best practice for adding new databases (which could be 150Gb each, and down the line, could be 2 or 3 of them)? Is it best to:

1/ Add a new database to the current server instance on the same machine
2/ Create a new mysqld process running on another port but on the same server (so as to keep the data distinct and in different ibdata files)
3/ Start a new mysql server on a new machine.

The things I am worried about are performance (eg. will having multiple mysqld processes on the same machine be as efficient as having a single one, will disk IO be a factor - although these databases are report orientated, this is only burst activity initiated by website interaction, fast and reliable data input is more important).

I would be VERY grateful for any opinions or links to websites that you could provide. Knowing what best practice is for this scenario would be invaluable.

Thanks for your help,

Peter Simm

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Multiple large databases - what is best practice?
November 07, 2006 05:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.