MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: "Can't create tcp/ip socket (24)" warning message
Posted by: Aaron Lamb
Date: March 29, 2010 08:27AM

Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I agree, there must be some OS limit causing this to happen at exactly 1000 every time. I'm also searching the Linux site looking for what that might be.

The thing I'm trying to accomplish with my test is to get some idea of how many concurrent connections my server/site 'could' handle. I assure you that I'm not trying to create anything malicious with this. And maybe my test app is not a very realistic test of what the following real scenerio will be? Any advice on that would be appreciated.

The actual project is one in which contestants will be asked to log into a live game show event and answer questions at the same moment in time. The moderator of the event would say "enter your vote now" and I expect everyone to respond within a few seconds. Each response will create a connection to the DB, file the data, and close the connection. It usually takes about 16-32 ms to complete.

I realize that concurrent connections are only those that would overlap in time. The thing is, there may be 10K participants. I'm just not sure how to predict how many of those would get a connection every time. I know that the number of concurrent connections that the site has already demonstrated that it will do (1K) seems like it should be enough to handle 10K participation given even just a couple of seconds of distribution of the connection events. Is there any re-try mechanism built into MySQL? Is that what connection timeout tries to do?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I don't get the chance too often. To answer your last question. The user's web interface doesn't require the individual to login to the site - only to provide a game show ID. The PHP script simply uses the same database user for everyone and files the individual's response using the unique PHP session ID. Do you think that will be a problem?

Again, thanks Rick, and I appreciate any advice that anyone would like to give.

- Aaron

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: "Can't create tcp/ip socket (24)" warning message
March 29, 2010 08:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.