MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Re: SQL Cluster hardware/software questions
Posted by: Leon Croese
Date: July 27, 2005 04:12AM

Hi Anton,

Thanks a lot for your post. Most things are getting clear now.

>>>> (7) Is it true now to say, if you have only 4 Gb of ram in the server it is nonsense to have 150 Gb
>>>> of disk space in the server (ofcourse the os and software takes some but not 100 Gb) ?
> What's wrong with 150Gb disk? I think that even 80Gb big disk for data nodes is quite enough.

I have seen some different cluster configurations and I all see that the server has 8 Gb of RAM but a 5*36GB SCSI RAID 5 array for storage. Since the MYSQL Cluster will load everything in the memory why would you have then 144 Gb of storage, that's what I am trying to find out.

> I also think that SCSI is good, but it's not so extreamly important for cluster now, as it keeps all in
> main memory and is using disk just for backups and checkpoints. We are using SATA without any raid
> and it's quite good and not so expensive as SCSI. Please also think and calculate how much space
> you will need, as it was a big suprise for us, when 3.6Gb big MYISAM database grew to 7Gb when
> moved to cluster. And 1Gbit LAN is also a good idea on ALL components of the cluster.

Sound really logical to me, the SCSI/SATA thing, are there more people here saying that since SQL Cluster keeps everything in the memory the storage does not really make a difference?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: SQL Cluster hardware/software questions
July 27, 2005 04:12AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.