MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Re: Example of Cluster SLOWER than InnoDB -- help?
Posted by: John Muehlhausen
Date: December 07, 2004 11:51PM

Heikki Tuuri wrote:
> Have you set
>
> innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2
>
> in my.cnf? NDB only flushes its log once per
> second, which makes the comparison unfavorable for
> InnoDB if you let InnoDB to flush its log at every
> commit. A log flush to disk restricts the commit
> speed to about 100 commits per second.

I am using transactions to protect against system failure (hardware or software). That means that at commit I want the transaction to be "somewhere safe". In InnoDB that means a write to disk at every commit. In NDB that means synchronous replication to another node. I know that I can speed up InnoDB by allowing it to lose data in the event of a server crash, but that is not an option for this application. BTW, isn't it irrelevant how often NDB flushes? That isn't meant to be the safety net-- replication to other nodes is.

> Actually, if the application is an implementation
> of a queue, it will almost certainly perform worse
> with a multi-node cluster than in a single-node
> database. You get database cache ping-pong between
> nodes if you repeatedly update the same row in
> different nodes.

It is an implementation of a queue-- I'm trying to get out of buying a MOM product for transactional messaging (such as WebSphere MQ) since my use-case is simple, and it would be convenient to do other MySQL work in the same transaction as the messaging "unit of work" to avoid a two-phase commit.

I'm going to do some testing on a two-node cluster and see what happens.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.