MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Test cluster slower than single machine
Posted by: Brad Crotchett
Date: May 30, 2006 03:47PM

We are currently running Postgres as our production DB but I am exploring moving to MySQL Cluster for the high availability and scalability. The problem is that I need to show better performance from the cluster than from Postgres in order to justify the move. We are using a home-brew bench program that fairly accurately reflects our DB usage (mostly writes) and so far I cannot get my test cluster to perform even 1/4 as well as Postgres on a single machine. Here is the test cluster setup:

4 NDB nodes, identical IBM blades, dual Xeon 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM running raid 1 on 2 10K scsi drives.
One blade also serves as the mgm node.
Currently testing with 2 SQL nodes, one on a dell poweredge dual 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, with RAID 5 and the other an SGI Altix 350 with 16 IA_64 cpu's and 32 GB RAM. I have played with various other combinations of SQL nodes and gone as high as 4 SQL nodes with the SQL nodes being on the same machine as NDB nodes. All of this is on a 100 MB network. FWIW, I will soon have a second SGI available and am interested in using them as NDB nodes but not sure how to fit them in with other more modest servers for 4 data nodes.

If you are interested in seeing the bench program it can be downloaded from http://users.altec.org/~russ/jdbcbench-1.8.tar.gz

With jdbcbench I typically init the db with a scale factor of 1 and then run it with 200 clients and 500 tests. My cluster usually returns with about 40-50 TPS depending on whether I use smal transactions or not. By comparison, a single Postgres machine with dual xeon 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM and raid 5 can return 156 TPS. I suspect a botteleneck on the disks of the blades so I have tried running with 'Diskless=1' with no help. I am allocating 1024 MB to DataMenory and 1024 MB to IndexMemory on the NDB nodes. I have also played with the MaxNoOfConcurrentTransactions, MaxNoOfConcurrentOperations, MaxNoOfLocalOperations, NoOfFragmentLogFiles, UndoDataBuffer, ReDoDataBuffer, and UnDoIndexBuffer directives without improvement.

I would love to take advantage of some of the features of MySQL Cluster, but I just cannot show the performance is there at this time. Please show me what I am missing!

Thanks in advance for the help,

Brad

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.