MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

--bind-address clarification
Posted by: gary markum
Date: November 28, 2018 09:07AM

I am running MySQL 5.6 on Windows 2012 R2 Std. I have configured the server for multiple IPv4 address easily enough. I need to have an instance of MySQL associated with each IP on the same server. I have read up on the --bind-address parameter in the my.ini file but I am not sure I fully understand it. If I specify an IPv4 address in the bind-address parameter in the my.ini file does this mean any other server connecting to that specified ip and port will see that database or does that parameter specify that only that IP can connect to the server. I want multiple computers to be able to connect to a specific IP/port on my server that contains multiple IPs but that all connect to port 3306 associated with each IP.

e.g. If my server has an ip address of 10.10.2.48 and I am running mysql on port 3306. I want to have another IP on that same server I can also connect to 10.10.2.49 also on port 3306.

This is mainly so I can stack replication instances in case of massive failure and not have to physically duplicate each server. We are working towards virtualization but we are not there yet. I have an offsite backup location that I replicate to. I change the 3rd octet to differentiate the backup site and keep the 4th octet the same to easily identify which machines are which when we need to work from the backup site.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
--bind-address clarification
November 28, 2018 09:07AM
November 28, 2018 12:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.