MySQL 5.6: creating users kills mysql, and mysq_upgrade fails
Posted by: Simon Hobbs
Date: November 07, 2014 10:37AM

I have a fresh (not upgrade) installation of mysql 5.6.19 community edition win64 running on windows 8.

I have had no problems with it until today I tried to create a new user. When I do this, mysql instantly dies with nothing in the log files.

Googling around says this can be a problem with upgrading old databases, and i need to run "msyql_upgrade". When I run this on the same pc and with the mysql root user, it simply outputs:

FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed.

Any ideas what I can do? In my database is an import of an old legacy DB. It works fine, I can query our old data etc. I don't want to lose this.

In the log files, I only see one error which pops up occasionally without any detrimental effect:

Incorrect definition of table mysql.proc: expected column 'comment' at position 15 to have type text, found type char(64).

Any ideas how I can add users, or do the upgrade, or find out whats causing the upgrade to fail?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.