Re: Tablespace
Posted by: Rick James
Date: November 16, 2014 12:03AM

Those features are almost always useless. If you have multiple drives, then the best thing to do with them (for performance) is to configure them into a striped RAID set. Manually placing MySQL's files on selected drives rarely helps -- because the typical operations provide little or no chance of overlapping actions to the different files. Even if they did, you would soon find that the I/O is not well balanced. For example, if you split data and index, and run a table scan, the data drive is busy but the index drive is idle.

Anyway, I don't know which has precedence. And it would be 'trivial' to find out -- CREATE a TABLE, look at the disk, then DROP it.

On the other hand, if you have a mixture of spinning drives and SSDs, then the conventional advice is to put logs on the spinning drives and the data/index on SSDs.

If you wish to argue with me, or otherwise discuss this, please specify whether you are using NDB or InnoDB or MyISAM (it matters), and your rationale for the split. You may have a good reason that I haven't thought of.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
November 15, 2014 03:12AM
Re: Tablespace
November 16, 2014 12:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.