mysqld shows 10x cpu usage on one machine vs. another
Posted by: Larry Reagor
Date: September 30, 2018 03:59PM

I have MySQL 5.7.2.2 installed on my development machine. In TaskManager, mysqld uses 40M of CPU when idle.
I recently installed MySQL 8.x on a client machine (because I wanted the latest version on their installation) along with the app that uses the db. On the 2nd machine, on TaskManager, mysqld shows 355M CPU usage when idle.
I found this because when running the app that uses MySQL on the client machine, all queries in the app ran visibly slower - screen response times were "painfully" slow.
I have searched the internet and these forums for something to help me reduce the client's high CPU usage, but have not found anything like this scenario.
The db contains only tables and the db size is around 200M, so it is not large by any measure. There are no stored procedures etc. Only when the app is running are any queries run and they are hard-coded in the app in this case.
Both db installations are running pretty much "out of the box" settings, all defaults on the installations. So what could possibly be causing a ten-fold difference in CPU utilization, like I said, when no app or query is being run?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
mysqld shows 10x cpu usage on one machine vs. another
September 30, 2018 03:59PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.