MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

"...error in initializing provider. Catastrophic failure"
Posted by: Gator
Date: July 22, 2005 01:01PM

I hope y'all will bear with me, I'm very much a newbie flying by the seat of my pants here. What I'm trying to do is access a remote MySQL database using mail merge in Microsoft Word. I have installed version 3.51.12 of MyODBC, as I read here that it fixed a lot of the "catastrophic failure" messages people were getting, but it didn't help. I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere, but my Google-fu is failing me, as a lot of the results that come up when I search seem to be about ASP or VB or some other application that I'm not using.

In the MyODBC applet, when I click "test" I get the nice little "Success; connection was made!" popup, so I know it's not a username/password issue. But when I go to do either a mail merge or "insert database" in Word, when I get to the "Data Link Properties" dialogue box, clicking "Test Connection" always results in this error: "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Catastrophic failure."

I'm still able to access the data in the "Select Data Source" dialogue, by right-clicking the data source and choosing "Analyze in Excel." It imports all of the remote data right into a spreadsheet, so it doesn't seem like there's a connection problem. However, if I right-click and choose "View in Browser," I get a popup saying "Data provider could not be initialized." The provider appears to be "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers," which I think is correct. I've played around with the connection string to no avail.

I'm hopelessly lost. I have Googled extensively and searched this forum, but it may be I don't know the right terms. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Again, I'm very new at this.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
"...error in initializing provider. Catastrophic failure"
July 22, 2005 01:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.