Bug in EF6 database migrations on renaming a column
Posted by: Patrick van der Willik
Date: March 12, 2014 04:55AM

I have discovered a bug in the MySqlMigrationSqlGenerator class with RenameColumnOperation objects. Initially this bug was reported as #71102 on december 6 2013. http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=71102. The bug was closed on december 30 2013 and marked as fixed but after checking the sources of the .NET connector I concluded that the bug has not been fixed.

The problem I have is that it is not possible to rename an existing column due to broken SQL being produced by the MySqlMigrationSqlGenerator class. I applied the suggested fix by the bug reporter but this still produces the following errors when performing an update-database:
Parameter '@sqlstmt' must be defined.

It appears that when performing database updates using user-variables from the NuGet console doesn't work. I need this functionality so I am set on fixing the bug and submitting a patch to be included in a next release. I re-wrote the solution as a stored procedure but it appears that no matter what I try, user variables do not work. I came up with the following:

begin
declare columnType varchar(512);
set columnType = (select case lower(IS_NULLABLE) when 'no' then CONCAT(`COLUMN_TYPE`, ' ' , 'not null ') when 'yes' then `COLUMN_TYPE` end from information_schema.columns where `TABLE_NAME` = 'Agency' and `COLUMN_NAME` = 'Descript' );
set @query := concat("alter table `Agency` change `Descript` `Description` ", columnType);
select @query;
prepare stmt from @query;
execute stmt;
deallocate prepare stmt;
end

However, whenever the select @query is executed the result is ALWAYS null and when calling/running this stored procedure from within HeidiSQL or the NuGet Package Manager console I always get the same result: @query is null.

Could anyone shed some light on my case? This scenario is a serious problem as the work around solution involves direct SQL during the migration but that doesn't work on MS SQL server as the statements are different.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Bug in EF6 database migrations on renaming a column
March 12, 2014 04:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.