Using Entity Framework with MySql and MsSql in the same application issue
Posted by: Artem Ozornin
Date: October 15, 2014 02:23PM

Yesterday I did migration (EF 5.0 => EF 6.0) of web application that uses entity framework to reach MySql and SQL Server databases (particular DbContext to particular databases, NOT any DbContext to any type of database).

Compile time things were done without any issues, run-time faced me with exception:

The default DbConfiguration instance was used by the Entity Framework before the 'MySqlEFConfiguration' type was discovered.

The [DbConfigurationType(typeof(MySqlEFConfiguration))] attribute on the context appears to have been ignored at run time because the context is in an external assembly(?) and the DbConfiguration used instead is global to the application domain, not the specific to the context(?)."

I tried different approaches to fix it, then googled it and - surprise - find no working solution.

Looks like situation described well formed here http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?174,614148,614148 still not changed, or I missed some obvious things.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

DETAILED DESCRIPTION:

Input (simplified): - ASP.NET Web Application

Data access layer implemented over Entity Framework 6.1.1

Entity Framework providers:

System.Data.SqlClient 6.1.1

MySql.Data.MySqlClient 6.9.4

MY_SqlContext, model first concept, targeted to MY SQL Server database

Ms_SqlContext, database first concept, targeted to MS SQL Server database

According generic documentation of Entity Framework 6 and MySql Connector/Net documentation (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-net/en/connector-net-entityframework60.html), MY_SqlContext requires MySqlEFConfiguration to be applied.

According both documentations, refered above, there are three options to do that. All three was tried and failed.

Option 1: Adding the DbConfigurationTypeAttribute [DbConfigurationType(typeof(MySqlEFConfiguration))] to MY_SqlContext class

Appropriate Web.config segments:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="MY_SqlContext"
connectionString="server=.;User Id=root;password=...;Persist Security Info=True;database=MySqlDb;Use Compression=False;Use Old Syntax=False"
providerName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" />
<add name="Ms_SqlContext"
connectionString="metadata=res://*/Ms_SqlContext.csdl|res://*/Ms_SqlContext.ssdl|res://*/Ms_SqlContext.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;data source=.;initial catalog=MsSqlDb;User ID=appuser;Password=...&quot;"
providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
</connectionStrings>

<entityFramework>
<defaultConnectionFactory type="System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.SqlConnectionFactory, EntityFramework" />
<providers>
<provider invariantName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlProviderServices, MySql.Data.Entity.EF6" />
<provider invariantName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer" />
</providers>
</entityFramework>
After application start and web requests begin processing:

Ms_SqlContext works ok Trying create MY_SqlContext instance exception: "The default DbConfiguration instance was used by the Entity Framework before the 'MySqlEFConfiguration' type was discovered. An instance of 'MySqlEFConfiguration' must be set at application start before using any Entity Framework features or must be registered in the application's config file. See ...LinkId=260883 for more information."

Option 2: Calling DbConfiguration.SetConfiguration(new MySqlEFConfiguration()) at the application startup

Appropriate Web.config segments (same as Option 1, actually):

<connectionStrings>
connectionString="server=.;User Id=root;password=...;Persist Security Info=True;database=MySqlDb;Use Compression=False;Use Old Syntax=False"
connectionString="metadata=res://*/Ms_SqlContext.csdl|res://*/Ms_SqlContext.ssdl|res://*/Ms_SqlContext.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;data source=.;initial catalog=MsSqlDb;User ID=appuser;Password=...&quot;"
</connectionStrings>

<entityFramework>
<defaultConnectionFactory type="System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.SqlConnectionFactory, EntityFramework" />
<providers>
<provider invariantName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" type="MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlProviderServices, MySql.Data.Entity.EF6" />
<provider invariantName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer" />
</providers>
</entityFramework>
Code, added to Global.asax.cs: private void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e) { DbConfiguration.SetConfiguration(new MySqlEFConfiguration()); ... After application start and web requests begin processing:

Trying create Ms_SqlContext instance exception: An instance of 'MySqlEFConfiguration' was set but this type was not discovered in the same assembly as the 'Ms_SqlContext' context. Either put the DbConfiguration type in the same assembly as the DbContext type, use DbConfigurationTypeAttribute on the DbContext type to specify the DbConfiguration type, or set the DbConfiguration type in the config file. See ...?LinkId=260883 for more information.

Option 3: Set the DbConfiguration type in the configuration file

Appropriate Web.config segments

<connectionStrings>
</connectionStrings>

<entityFramework codeConfigurationType="MySql.Data.Entity.MySqlEFConfiguration, MySql.Data.Entity.EF6">
<providers>
</providers>
</entityFramework>
After application start and web requests begin processing: ... Ms_SqlContext instance created, but during first query execution exception: EntityException: {"The underlying provider failed on Open."} InnerException: {"Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts."} So, Ms_SqlContext get MySql configuration that is obviously wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Using Entity Framework with MySql and MsSql in the same application issue
October 15, 2014 02:23PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.