Dispose() throws an exception
Posted by: Phillip Gussow
Date: November 10, 2015 06:57AM

I'm running the MySQL connector in an ASP.NET application. Every couple of hours my application pool crashes with the following unhandled exception:

MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException (0x80004005): Fatal error encountered during command execution. ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException (0x80004005): Fatal error encountered attempting to read the resultset. ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException (0x80004005): Reading from the stream has failed. ---> System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadFully(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.LoadPacket()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.LoadPacket()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadPacket()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.GetResult(Int32& affectedRow, Int64& insertedId)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.NextResult(Int32 statementId, Boolean force)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlTransaction.Rollback()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.CloseFully()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Close()
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Finalize()

I've found a couple of old bugs (from 2010) which mention the same stack trace. I'm running the lastest MySql.Data version (6.9.8)

I can image that the connector tries to gracefully close a connection to the server. But if that fails I think the Dispose should not throw an exception. The object is gone afterwards anyway. Maybe on the server there is a leftover, but the connector has no control over the server anyway.

Is this a known issue? Or is it a 'works-as-designed'? If so, why was it designed that way?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Dispose() throws an exception
November 10, 2015 06:57AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.