Re: Can't Bulk Load CSV with blank fields
Posted by: Michael Cooke-Russell
Date: February 17, 2016 06:19PM

I'm looking for advice on how to solve my problem and didn't come here for an earbashing. I've already said it was not a bug and that I can preprocess the (very large) text files to insert the word NULL were needed. It's just that it is inefficient.

> Interpreting consecutive commas as meaning NULL would be inconsistent with the rest of SQL, which does not support such syntax.

SQL Server BULK INSERT allows it via the KEEPNULLS switch so what's the big deal.

> I think Load Data is prevented in sprocs because of security concerns. No sign of that changing.

I appreciate it is a security concern. But in the particular environment it's being used here it would not be an issue for me. It would be nice to be able to use the statement, perhaps with a warning.

> ?! Get a grip. MySQL is a database platform, not an application development system. SQL is not a complete computer language nor was meant to be. All you need do is write a preprocessing function in your preferred programming language

Sorry if I think that being able to easily get data into a database system is an important task.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can't Bulk Load CSV with blank fields
February 17, 2016 06:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.