MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Re: Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111
Posted by: Cody Holbrook
Date: February 06, 2009 02:25PM

I'm seeing this same error on a local instance of mysql. My ultimate goal is to do a remote connection, but something seems to be wrong. I can access mysql with no problems, create tables, user, etc, but I'm seeing something that I believe is a pointing to an issue I'll have no luck overcoming with a remote server.

I can successfully run "mysqladmin variables" without options, but see what happens when I try to pass in the host.

cholbroo@tardis:/usr/share$ mysqladmin -h10.X.X.X variables
mysqladmin: connect to server at '10.X.X.X' failed
error: 'Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 0'

cholbroo@tardis:/usr/share$ mysqladmin -h127.0.0.1 variables
mysqladmin: connect to server at '127.0.0.1' failed
error: 'Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111'

My bind-address is set to the IP of the server. I've also tried to set it to 127.0.0.1 or just not have a bind-address at all. The system error is either 0 or 111 no matter what I try.

So I guess my question is: Is my use of mysqladmin really proving anything? If not, is there a better way to test that mysql can be reached by IP?

Thanks for reading,

Cody

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.