MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Re: large InnoDB table partitioning without explicit PK
Posted by: Rick James
Date: November 18, 2014 11:35PM

> And from what you are saying, I presume that even the true working set was big (36M records, 10GB of partition size) it still fitted into the memory (innodb_buffer_pool_size ~ 40GB)

Correct; that is what I am saying. That explains why your I/O is low. And it gives you the parameters (partitions, buffer_pool, etc) that ultimately control how fast the system can run.

> it is 2 x 6 cores Xeon Processors but there is ESXi underneath, and 8 (v)CPU are configured for that VM.

My past experience (not recent, and not with that specific hardware or VM) is that VM has something like a 10-20% overhead. Perhaps you should consider a dedicated machine without VMs?
At 80% CPU, you are possibly at the CPU limit. InnoDB's lock (mutex) contention handling partially chews up CPU (in hopes that the lock will be released very soon), and partially 'sleeps'.

> MEMORY ... It does not make any sense since with multiple connections the table lock is significant (I wish row locking was supported) and the limit is 7k inserts per second. However IO gain is amazing ;-)

Good point; I forgot about the possibility of significant locking.
Plan B: One MEMORY 'cache table' per connection, with a LOCK TABLE / UNLOCK TABLE around it -- the writers would have to let go periodically (say, once per second) to let the copy process swap tables and shovel data.
Plan C: Using an single InnoDB cache table (with no indexes). However, because of various details, this idea may not be better than your current setup.

> 405196 rows / minute, 22% CPU

Nice! (for, MEMORY, multithreaded?)
22% might be equivalent to 2 cores mostly busy.

> There are BEGINs and COMMITs. But not many INSERTS between them.

BEGIN, one INSERT, COMMIT -- yet you are getting that high rate. Nice!
Note: That is equivalent to having autocommit=ON and not having 'BEGIN' or 'COMMIT'.

> 1048850 / minute

Nicer!! (for InnoDB, multithreaded?)

> [autocommit] It is 10% only and I would expect a higher number here.

I would have, too. Perhaps a lot of other mutexes, etc, are hitting their limits.

> 1400066

Nicerer !!!

BTW, in a carefully designed benchmark, someone (Mark Callahan? Oracle?) has managed to do 1M tps in 5.7. Your 23K inserts/sec is probably more realistic.

> BEGIN.. INSERT1..INSERT5000..COMMIT

There are certain default settings that you may be overflowing -- innodb_log_buffer_size, binlog buffer, etc. Could you try chunking 100 at a time instead of 5000?

Possibly related: Innodb_log_waits was 0 in the SHOW you gave me; is it still 0?
innodb_log_file_size is 1G; I doubt if it needs changing.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: large InnoDB table partitioning without explicit PK
November 18, 2014 11:35PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.