MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: optimising a create table as select
Posted by: Daniel Fisher
Date: May 21, 2014 08:55AM

Hi Rick

I have sent you the output via email.

The instance is RAM is 7.5GB, which seems very low. Typically an Oracle appliance has 512GB RAM for a 6TB DB

Yes the instances are multi zone.

This application is sort of based on GPS capture, not banking, its not needed that every single transactions is ACID and can absorb some things going wrong.

Re Banking I worked as a DBA and Architect in banking, where proposing a database other than Oracle can seriously damage you career. I don't really agree with that notion and its probably not as relevant now as it was 10 years ago. Typically Big Banks have lots of cash and are conservative in nature so tie themselves to Oracle for that reason.

What is you opinion on the direction Oracle is taking MySQL ? I have to admit that I don't know enough about it.

I am trying to get all the mistakes out of the way early on for example in Oracle if you are moving data to a new table, you do not put any keys on the table ie PK. I now know that in InnoDB a primary key will be created for you anyway !!

All good fun, having a look at Amazon Redshift as well. Its all quite a departure from Oracle, and Oracle Exadata although at the end of the days its all the same thing a bucket in which to store data.

Which some people like myself and guessing you find absolutely fascinating.

Cheers
Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.