MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Re: Partitioning not working need primary key?
Posted by: newbie Shai
Date: October 27, 2012 07:21AM

Dear Rick,
I tried this part does not work INSERT INTO flt102 SELECT 1000.01 FROM ints a JOIN ints b; because there is no table ints? So your advice is to go with decimal rather then double due to space wastage is it ? I have read about partitioning this is where I am getting lost "partition key" must be part of any UNIQUE index" must the key be part of primary key? So in my case you said both this will not work PARTITION BY RANGE(datetime) and PRIMARY KEY (`receiptID`,`outletID`) right? So I am lost why I could not just partition based on range(datetime) as keep getting errors as I stated earlier. I agree with your summary tables idea very useful but does suggest that it is updated on each time we add the master table or run some script to do the summary? Another thing regarding the composite index. Well in the case of outletID,receiptID as a composite index. Say I have a query where I will search just based on date time then this index wont be applicable and rite. Another query say I need to search based on outletID and datetime again this indexing wont be useful I guess?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Partitioning not working need primary key?
October 27, 2012 07:21AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.