MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Partition data backup and restore
Posted by: Seungho Nam Nam
Date: October 18, 2013 12:48AM

Dear list,

I am new to MySQL and interested in the partitioning features. The reason why I am interested is that I like to manage the large data efficiently by dividing the data into years. So I have read through the manual on partitioning but got to have some questions. My engine is InnoDB.

1. I found that mysql has ALTER TABLE DROP PARTITION statement and this deletes not only the partition but also the data it. In this case, if I would like to backup the data in the partition before dropping the partition, what would be the best practice?

2. Later, if I would like to restore the dropped partition and its data, what would be the recommended way?

3. I think I heard that one of the advantages of partitioning is to allowing storing more data than the disk's capacity. I guess mysql generates per-partition files by turning on innodb_file_per_table option. If I am right, can I backup the partition file, drop the partition, and restore the backed up partition file?

If you have any recommended backup and restore strategies for partitions, please share them.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Seungho

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Partition data backup and restore
October 18, 2013 12:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.