Re: Can't get MySQL 5.5 to install on Windows 7
Posted by: Chris Besant
Date: December 17, 2010 11:37PM

Ah, figured it out:

MySQL 5.5.8 GA
Database: mysql
Table: user
Column: authentication_string

This is a text column set to NOT NULL. There can be no default value for a text type column. I modified the table to set the authentication_string column to be nullable. Then the MySQL Server Instance Configuration Wizard can complete including Apply Security Settings.

Beware: I have no idea of the implications of what I just did. I have no idea what the MySQL Server Instance Configuration Wizard is doing in "applying security settings." All I know is that making that column nullable allowed the Wizard to complete successfully.

If you ask me, this 5.5.8 GA should be RC3 -- the installation is more problematic than 5.5 RC1 and 5.5 RC2. Before getting this problem, I had the problem that the server wouldn't even start up because it was colliding with some files left behind by the 5.5 RC2 installation which make the InnoDB engine puke at startup.

Apparently THAT issue has been around awhile:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?22,144428,144428

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2010 12:16AM by Chris Besant.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can't get MySQL 5.5 to install on Windows 7
December 17, 2010 11:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.