MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Connecting to MySQL via Excel problem
Posted by: Marc Wilding
Date: October 19, 2011 01:40AM

Hi All,

Con't seem to find any relevant threads on this. The only one I found was about java script.

I have just set up my first MYSQL installation via XAMPP and after all sorts of password fun and games I have no created my first database. There is no data in it yet, but I have set up all the tables. Now I am trying to populate which I will eventually do via Excel VBA.

But for now I just want to be able to access my DB. Even though I am a relatively experienced programmer. Networks give me the heebie jeebies!!

Anyway I have my database set up on one machine on my internal network. It is not on a server, just a different PC that the one I am trying to access it from. Both are on the same intranet. So I am not going into the outside world.

So I have gone into Excel, just standard excel not VBA and I have used the data connection wizzard to try to connect to my database. SO I have selected SQL server and get asked server name.

What do I put in here. I have tried all of the following...

\\NAMEOFMYPC
\\192.168,1,8 'internal IP address
NAMEOFMYPC 'i.e. no double backslash and the PC's name
192.168.1.8 'internal IP address without double \\

Nothing seems to work. Just says surver can't be found or user can't be found. I have user root and the password I defined for root. I have also set up a new user and password and tried them. I am out of combinations now. So AGGGHHHH asking for any information

Thanks in advance

Marc
SQL Supernewbie!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Connecting to MySQL via Excel problem
October 19, 2011 01:40AM
December 28, 2011 01:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.