MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  General

MySQL real world use for DW/BI
Posted by: Peter Nolan
Date: August 09, 2007 03:39AM

Hi All,
we have built a product on SQL Server that heavily uses Report Services and Stored Procedures in the presentation layer.......works a treat on SQL Server and we have our first few clients up and running on our full stack of software.

However, in our desire to be cutting down the cost of DW/BI we want to port the back end of our product across to MySQL so that there is no need to donate to MSFT for the database licenses....we will then be able to offer prospective clients a choice of SQL Server or MySQL at the relevant price points.

What concerns me is that this forum is really quiet. There seems almost no discussion going on about MySQL actually being used in reasonably sized DWs. Sure, there is marketing materials available talking about companies using MySQL in DWs but its very easy to prepare a 2 page flier that reads well...

Before we spend our time and money porting our product I was wondering if anyone had comments/experience with MySQL as a database for dimensional models that they were willing to share?

I am guessing that if there are dimensional models being put onto MySQL and they are being queried then at least someone from MySQL will know of these.....or perhaps people are doing MySQL databases and would like to see more of the same?

We don't want to find out that MySQL is not capable of supporting what we are wanting to do after we have ported our product...or worse...after we have sold some copies!! LOL!!

I'd be very interested in any discussion around MySQL as the back end database for dimensional data warehouses.....

Best Regards

Peter
www.peternolan.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL real world use for DW/BI
August 09, 2007 03:39AM
August 21, 2007 03:28AM
September 30, 2007 04:42AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.