MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Local vs. remote performance C-API
Posted by: Andr Schršder
Date: December 20, 2004 06:10AM

I have a huge problem with an application using the C-API to connect to a remote MySQL 4.1.8 (and previous versions).

When I run my application locally, I get a decent performance (connecting to localhost).

If I host the database on a remote server (connection through 100 mbit switched network) the performance goes down to about 25% of what I have locally.

The bottleneck is not the network. I have also disabled reverse DNS on the server - although DNS is working fine. I have tried several servers in several networks (so I can exlude server NICs, switches and DNS in general for being responsible). I have also tried different client machines.

The queries are very mixed: INSERT,SELECT,UPDATE. Locally I manage about 2000-3000 / second, remotely I can do up to 500 / second, not more.

I have tried tweaking some server parameters but nothing really makes a difference. Actually the server hardware has much more resources than my local application. Which server side parameters (or client side) should I focus on? I think I have a good handle on what it takes on the database parameters to get a could performance (such as key buffers, etc) since my localhost performance is quite ok.

I rewrote the entire app to not use prepared statements anymore since I suspected that they could be part of the problem. Didn't help - except for avoiding some of the prepared statement bugs (such as stalling the server whenever you issue a mysql_stmt_prepare).

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.