I figured I'd help everyone out here who is having this problem...
I have been hassled by this error for a couple days and I finally ran across some information in the online documentation that helped me clear this up.
This was taken from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/packet-too-large.html
"Both the client and the server have their own max_allowed_packet variable, so if you want to handle big packets, you must increase this variable both in the client and in the server
I checked my server's max_allowed_packet
value by doing a "SHOW VARIABLES
" and it was set to 1M. I was originally misled by using "SELECT @@MAX_ALLOWED_PACKET
" from within the mysql client. However, it appears that is a CLIENT-SIDE variable and does not show the value of the server-side variable (of the same name).
So, I added the following lines to my.cnf and restarted the server:
I verified the variable value by running another "SHOW VARIABLES
" and it accepted my changes.
Now I imported my table dump into a new database and everything worked great!
I hope this helps everyone else who is frustrated by this issue.