MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Re: Newby needs some help - collation/charset ?
Posted by: Marvin Miller
Date: December 18, 2013 03:34PM

Curious....If I execute the entire insert command that is failing through MySQL Workbench it works correctly....

Rick James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > `install_date` varchar(10) DEFAULT NULL,
>
> (unrelated to charset problem) There is a DATE
> datatype -- this would let you do SQL comparisons
> between dates. See also DATETIME and TIMESTAMP.
>
> > ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=57 DEFAULT
> CHARSET=utf8'
>
> OK, the columns are utf8.
> (Unrelated to the charset issue: InnoDB is
> preferred over MyISAM.)

Quick off-topic question, is it possible to just convert the dB to InnoDB and the forum will work?

>
> > There appears to be an error with the
> widgets.com database.
>
> Alas, the 3rd party software seems to be hiding
> useful information from us. Complain to them.

This I don't understand. MySQL errors used to display, and in in fact I got one to display by trying to post something way too long into the forum for datatype TEXT. I got the same MySQL error box but this time with the entire insert statement and, at the very end, the reason for the failure. So I'm not sure why, in this area of the forum, I get no error message. I have complained to them but they are AWOL which is why I'm here :)

>
> > 'Erzeuge deine eigenen BBCodes und Buttons im
> ACP und speichere sie in der Datenbank'
> > I'll look into the above shortly (as best I can
> :)
>
> Find a row with an accented letter in the middle,
> preferably with a short text string.

Here's the thing, the SQL INSERT command that it coughs on when running through the web browser (PHP) actually works fine when directly entered via MySQL workbench.

As you know, I'm no expert in any of this but what this says to me is that the SQL statement is OK, and content of the statement is also OK (whether or not it has funny characters or text it inserts fine through MySQL Workbench).

My guess is that this leaves us with a .php issue. Note that this php page used to work with previous PHP releases. SO I think we're narrowing it down unless my testing methodology is flawed (the SQL query working when directly entered)

I used to be on 5.3.24 and I've confirmed the php file works, now on 5.4.14 and nada....

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Newby needs some help - collation/charset ?
December 18, 2013 03:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.